Alas, my favorite time of year has arrived: bone-chilling winter is upon us, time for me to get yummy soups going on my stove. This is a particularly favorite recipe that I keep coming back to, so I wanted to share it with you – It takes only about 20 minutes to prepare and then you are feasting (hopefully by a cozy fire) on heart-and-soul-warming goodness. Enjoy!
Southwestern Chicken & Rice Soup Low-Fat and My Way
- 48 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped (*I purchase a baked chicken and de-skin and shred)
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn, frozen
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped, undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in rice and cumin.
- Return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in chicken and next 3 ingredients into rice mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove mixture from heat, add salt.
- Serve with fresh cornbread and green salad.